You, too, can save money! (clipart from MS Office, 2010)

Monday, August 2, 2010

An Ode to Rite Aid


Oh, Rite Aid, how do I love thee?
Thou art more organized than I could ever be....
(although Nivea Lip Care was hard to find that one week)
Your cashiers are endlessly polite,
About coupons you never fight.

Okay, so my poetry needs a bit of work, daahlings, but here is the point:
I have seen bloggers post pictures of their "steals and deals" from stores, and sometimes, it irritates me. What, are they just trying to brag? Make me feel like less of a woman 'cause I paid full price for four rolls of toilet paper the other day?

I think I have the answer. Yes, they are bragging, a little. But the primary reason why I am going to post a picture of my deal is that I want people to understand that you, too, can do this. I am not a smart person, by any account, but I skim my favorite blogs using Google Reader, buy the newspaper, and print off coupons as needed. And, that is what I did for the following deal:

6 boxes Kellogg's Cereal @ 2 for $4
4 boxes Kellogg's Pop-Tarts @ 2 for $4
4 tubs Pampers wipes @ 2.49 (I used a raincheck for these babies)

Then, I used:
2 - $1 off Apple Jacks or Froot Loops (found on back of mini boxes of cereal @ bread store)
2 - $1 off wyb 2 Kellogg's Cereals (printed)
2 - $1 off wyb 2 Kellogg's Pop Tarts (one printed, one from newspaper)
4 - $2 off Pampers wipes (from newspaper, but I bought some from Ebay)
1 - $5 off Rite Aid purchase over $25 (printed from Rite Aid "Video Rewards" online)
1 - $2 +UP Reward (was going to expire...prints on end of receipts at Rite Aid)

My total was $10.91. However, each Kellogg's item caused $1 in "+UP Rewards" (aka Rite Aid money that works like CVS ExtraCare Bucks, if you know that system) to print: $5 worth. Then, I will get back a $5 rebate from Rite Aid for purchasing at least $15 in Kellogg's items.

Final cost: $0.91 for 14 items, or about 7 cents an item!!

Let me repeat: I am not a genius. I also do not run from store to store, scooping up every cheap or free deal possible. If I did that, I would be broke and with a house full of junk I don't need. But, the few things I do happen to work for me.

Let me encourage you to buy a newspaper, or to ask your friends, neighbors, and co-workers if they have coupon inserts that they don't use. You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment