You, too, can save money! (clipart from MS Office, 2010)

Monday, August 9, 2010

Finding Diapers For Less

I have two small children, and so for the past three years or so, my budget (and life) has all but been consumed by the need for diapers, wipes, and other baby necessities. I used to wait and go to Wal-Mart, buying those huge boxes of all different brands, depending on what was on sale. I even saved diaper coupons, but never did such a hot job of actually using them when I had them. I felt like we were always out of something, and it placed an inordinate amount of stress on me.

Now, I can't WAIT to go and hit a diaper sale at a drugstore or Kroger....and that says a lot. Right now, I usually don't purchase diapers (name brand jumbo packs, mind you) for more than $5 a pack (many are cheaper).....and I am getting many, many more diapers for my money than I used to.

Here are my top three ways to get cheap diapers:

1. Clip coupons and check blogs (of some sort). Diaper/wipes coupons are regularly found in at least one coupon insert per month; they are usually always in the Procter & Gamble insert, when one is present. Baby product (i.e., Johnson's & Johnson's products) Qs require more patience when only purchasing a Sunday paper. However, there are constantly new coupons being put on one of the big 3 printable coupon sites. Also, the blog thing--many blogs will have coupon matchups with deals that can be done in a specific order to save money. Although you can certainly DIY, unless you know all the ins and outs of the drugstores, it is very helpful to see how someone else is going to get that pack of diapers and other assorted goodies in the transaction.

2. Pay attention to sales and loyalty programs. If you don't go get every pack of diapers that cost $1.94 from CVS because the nearest store is 45 minutes away, that's okay! Simply buying a pack of diapers on sale for $8.99 from a store in your town and using a few coupons to sweeten the deal can be helpful. Although it is certainly one way to do things, NOT EVERYBODY wants to stockpile (which is what many of the blogs set up their coupon matchups to do). Simply paying attention to when prices are at a good level when you might be running low can prevent you buying the same pack of diapers from a gas station at 11 p.m. for $11.99. (Been there.) It also helps to sign up for things like Single Check Rebates from Rite Aid, which often allow you to get $1 or $2 back in rebate form at the end of a month for buying a pack of diapers. You kiddin' me? I already do that, and to get an extra buck or two just for typing in my receipt number is totally worth it. When those checks roll in, I think....yard sale money! :-)

3. Try new things. There is a company called Arquest that works with manufacturers and consumers to conduct diaper studies several times during the year. It varies as to what sizes and genders they are testing at any given time. I just finished a study this week on training pants. They sent me three packs of training pants and three paper surveys; I also had two scheduled phone interviews to relay my information to the surveyor. In all, the phone interviews took about 12 minutes, and the paper surveys took about 15 minutes. I will receive a check for $10 in the mail as a "thank you gift" for my completing all three of the surveys within the time window (for basically 30 minutes of my time)....but three packs of undergarments for free is a huge help, anyway. I have tried this survey option with both my boy and girl; however, I would encourage some caution, as some children are sensitive to ingredients in diapers, and you don't always know "whose" diapers they are...some friends have kids who can only wear one brand or another, or who have to stay away from Pampers Cruisers, etc. However, my kids have rear ends like armadillos, so that wasn't a concern for me (although I would have discontinued at first sign of rash). Here are the numbers to contact the company; simply leave a message detailing what size diapers your child wears, along with the regular stuff.

GIRLS: 1-888-342-7372 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-342-7372 end_of_the_skype_highlighting ext. 646 (The woman you speak to is named Georgia)
BOYS: 1-888-342-7372 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-342-7372 end_of_the_skype_highlighting ext. 634 (The woman you speak to is named “Cheyla”, but it sounds like Sheila)

Hope this wasn't too wordy, and I hope it gives you a place to start with baby items. Have any great tips for saving money? Leave a post for the good of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment